- This event has passed.
2022-2023 Program Planning
April 10, 2022 @ 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Please join us virtually on Sunday, April 10, at 3:00pm when LWVN will discuss the proposed local action priorities and goals for 2022-2023.
To attend this meeting, registration in advance is required.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
LWVN members should review the LWVN Positions and the Program Plan adopted at the 2021 Annual Meeting. Think about whether positions and priorities need to be eliminated, new positions and priorities added, or other changes need to be made. The program that is decided upon will be reviewed by the Board of Directors and then presented to the entire membership at the Annual Meeting for approval.
Read more about program planning and the process below.
Program Planning is a member-centered multistep process
Members recommend which issues to address, new studies to undertake, and changes to LWVN advocacy positions.
The program planning process begins in April. Members discuss the important issues that LWVN should focus on in the next fiscal year, which begins in July. The process ends at the Annual Meeting where members vote on the proposals developed earlier.
Any member who introduces a particular proposal contemplating study or action on a community issue should consider the following:
- Does the League have an existing position that supports the proposed action?
- Do members understand and would they agree with the proposed action?
- Is it a priority for LWVN?
- Does LWVN have a unique role to play or would the LWVN’s assets (time and money) be better spent on other activities?
- Does it have some chance of success or make an important statement for the League?
- Are other leagues, organizations, or a coalition already working on the issue?
- What action techniques would be most effective?
- How will the League deal with opposition?
- How can members be involved in the proposed action?
- What kind of community involvement would best support the League’s efforts?
If a suggestion for program falls under an existing position, that suggestion can simply be considered by the board and presented for approval by its members at the annual meeting, and action can be taken as appropriate. However, if the suggestion involves a new issue that does not fit under an existing position, members must first adopt an appropriate position.
The board of directors is responsible for reviewing and discussing program suggestions, formulating them in appropriate language, and recommending all or some of them for adoption according to procedures specified in the bylaws.