Civics Challenge 2022
We are hopeful that we will be able to bring back our Civics Challenge in the late winter or early spring of 2022. Check back here in December for information about the next Civics Challenge.
Our Inaugural Civics Challenge Is a Success!
LWVN held its inaugural Civics Challenge on March 1, 2020 at the Cabot School. 9 teams consisting of family & community groups, middle school, high school, and college students, teachers from NSHS, and a group from the Newton TAB, participated.
Please join the LWVN in congratulating the three winning teams:
- The Newton South History Department: Tucker Ahlers, Ashley Chapman, John Greiner & Lillian Robinson
- The Grads: Michel Costello and John Lovett
- The Proud Lions: Cathy Borgesen, Kevin Cheng, Dylan Dincer, & James Farmer
Thank you to the Village Bank for its support of the event.
Read More and see picture of the winners.
Inaugural Civics Challenge
When: Sunday, March 1, 2020
Time: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Where: Cabot Elementary School, 229 Cabot St.
Why a Civics Challenge?
The main objectives of the League of Women Voters (LWV) have always been to educate citizens about their civic responsibilities and to increase participation in government. By sponsoring a civics challenge, the Newton LWV believes it can also achieve the following goals:
- prepare citizens (both young and old) for their roles as voters
- educate our community about federal, state and, most particularly, local government
- build community on a non-partisan basis
Who Can Participate?
Adults and students in grade eight and above.
Teams of 3 or 4 are permitted. Join with a group or let us find your teammates for you.
How do I get involved?
On-line team and individual registration begins on January 6, 2020. Applications should be submitted by Thursday, February 27.
Click the links below for registration, instructions, and helpful resources.
- View event flyer
- Event format and rules
- Sample questions and a list of helpful team resources
Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams with the first place team earning a tour of the Massachusetts State House.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.