Welcome to the LWV Newton 2023 Municipal Election Voters Guide
The LWVN publishes Voters Guides before each election to help voters learn more about candidates. For this Voters Guide guide, we invited all candidates to answer the following questions. Once a candidate has submitted answers, their name below will become a link to a page displaying their basic information and their answers.
City Councilor Questions
- Was your motivation to run for office prompted by an issue which impacts the community that is not being adequately addressed? (“Motivation”)
- Housing affordability and its role in increasing racial diversity in Newton has been a stated goal. What measures would you take and support in order to meet this goal? (“Housing”)
- Small businesses are the heart of our economy and they are struggling. How can you help the city support these businesses? (“Small businesses”)
- Buildings are the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in Newton. Residential and commercial buildings need to be weatherized and electrified. Relying on voluntary action produces extremely slow progress. What incentives or mandates would you put in place to motivate home owners to weatherize their houses? (“Weatherization”)
School Committee Questions
- What policies would you like to see put in place to improve the mental health of our students? (“Mental Health”)
- How do you feel about the importance of DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) in our schools and how should DEI concerns determine the way in which we teach our students? (“DEI”)
- There is evidence that students are still struggling to return to their pre-pandemic levels of learning. MCAS scores are still much lower than before 2019. How do you think Newton Public Schools should address this loss of learning? (“Learning”)
- About half of our schools have been or will be renovated in the last ten years. What do you think should be the plan for bringing the remaining schools up to par? (“Renovations”)
For more information, including poll locations and sample ballots, visit the Newton Election Department.