About the Voters Guides
All candidates were invited to submit a photo, a biographical summary/answer to “why you are seeking this office?” and 75-word answers to the questions below. The public was invited to suggest questions; the three selected were approved by the League Board.
See a list of all candidates by office
See questions and answers for:
Alderman | School Committee | Charter Commission
Questions for Aldermanic Candidates
At-Large & Ward candidates were asked the same set of questions.
- As an Alderman, how would you balance economic growth and property values with the concerns about development?
- The Mayor has announced that he has implemented a policy that would eliminate the City’s Unfunded Pension Liability by the year 2029 and the OPEB (Other Post-Employment Benefits) Liability by the year 2042. Given the amount of time involved, what risks and challenges, if any, do you see for staying on track?
- What are your concrete suggestions on the Sidewalk Snow Clearing ordinance?
» Aldermanic Candidate Answers
Questions for School Committee Candidates
- School start times are a big issue from the elementary schools to the high schools. What are the key elements of a successful solution?
- What is your vision of the relationship among the School Committee, the community and the School Superintendent?
- What policies would you suggest to reduce the impact of schools on traffic?
» School Committee Candidate answers
Questions for Charter Commission Candidates
- What characteristics do you think are important in a charter commission member?
- What community involvement and/or experience would you bring to the charter commission?
- What are the key areas of the charter you would like to see reviewed?