Environmental priorities for 2020-21 (Chairperson Needed):
- Support efforts to reduce vehicle miles traveled with transit-oriented development, improvements in bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, and public transit.
- Support efforts to reduce pollution from transportation, which is responsible for more Greenhouse gas emissions than any other sector of our economy.
- Support efforts to transition to sustainable energy, minimizing reliance on the gas grid, detecting gas leaks, insulating more buildings, and mandating electrification of new buildings.
- Educate and update the community on issues related to trash and recycling. Lobby for environmental legislation with other LWV groups in MA.
- Lobby for environmental legislation with other local Leagues and grassroots organizations.
- Hold educational forums on environmental and transportation issues.
- Support of a revenue neutral fee on carbon. Facilitate education through forums.
- Gas leaks. Support state legislation to reduce gas leaks and work to increase maintenance of gas lines in Newton
- Educate and update members on issues related to trash and recycling.
- Focus efforts on transportation changes that reduce vehicle miles traveled and increase safety for all road users.
- Continue collaboration with Newton Safe Sidewalks, the Mayor’s Transportation Advisory Group and other partners.
- Continue education through.
- Support the system in place for implementing the Newton Bicycle Network Plan.
- Support and encourage the state League’s efforts regarding public transit and their other transportation priorities.