With the COVID-era boost in Federal Extra Pandemic Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits ending at the beginning of March, we thought it important to learn more about Newton’s food pantries. In this episode of The League Presents… Marcia Johnson talked with Sindy Wayne, Board Vice President of the Newton Food Pantry and Taylor Lies, Board President of the Centre Street Food Pantry.
It was fascinating to learn about these two very complex and impressive organizations that bring food and personal items to many residents of Newton and several neighboring communities. The conversation focused on the following topics:
- How the food pantries have adjusted to three years of Covid and the economic challenges of 2022-23.
- The people that they serve and how people in need may gain access to the food pantries.
- Where the food comes from.
- How the organizations fund and manage the operations.
- The role of volunteers. If you would like to be a volunteer, please use these links: