In May 2022, we had the pleasure of having a conversation with Councilor Crossley, Chair of the Zoning & Planning Committee of the City Council, (ZAP). The focus of this conversation was Village Redesign.
As a follow-up to this program, David Micley, member of the LWVN’s Board of Directors, recently spoke with Deb about the City’s progress on zoning redesign, with a focus on how it could be an important pathway to comply with the new MBTA Communities legislation.
They covered the following topics:
- An overview of the MBTA Communities legislation
- MBTA Communities requires allowing multifamily development by-right vs by special permit; why that is important
- How the City’s Village Redesign initiative can help meet MBTA Communities Law requirements
- The connection between MBTA Communities affordability requirement and “by-right” development
- Alignment of our inclusionary zoning ordinance with the MBTA Communities “families with young children” requirement
- How you can stay informed and provide input.