Vote by Mail, Vote Early In-Person, or Vote In-Person on November 8.
All registered voters in Newton and across Massachusetts now have the option to cast a vote-by-mail ballot and vote early, by mail or in-person, in all elections. For detailed information on Elections and Voting, visit the Secretary of State’s Elections Division website page.
Read more below for information on voting early by mail, voting early in-person, applicable deadlines, and what is on the ballot.
2022 State General Election – Tuesday, November 8
To Vote Early by Mail
To vote by mail, all you need to do is:
- Submit your ballot application online, through the State’s Mail-in Ballot Application System
- Complete the vote by mail application postcard you received by mail from the Secretary of State’s Office. If you didn’t get a postcard in the mail, or you have misplaced it, you can download a Vote by Mail Application. Once completed, deliver your application to the City Clerk’s office. That can be accomplished in any of the following ways:
- drop it off at one of the two secure ballot drop boxes outside the entrance to Newton City Hall, or
- mail it to the Newton Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 1000 Commonwealth Avenue, 02459, or
- fax your application to 617-796-1214, or
- scan the application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: 2022 Vote by Mail Ballot Application
Applications for mail-in ballots must have a signature that is visible and signed “in substantially the same manner as a handwritten signature.” Applications with typed signatures will not be accepted.
Completed ballots can be mailed back to the Newton City Clerk’s Office in the envelope provided, hand delivered to the City Clerk’s office, or dropped in one of the two drop boxes at City Hall. Ballots must be received before 8:00pm when the polls close on Election Day to be counted.
Ballots cannot be dropped off at a polling place on Election Day.
To Vote Early, In-Person
In-person early voting for the November 8 General Election begins at Newton City Hall on Saturday, October 22 and continues through Friday, November 4. More details found here.
Polls will be open on election days across Newton from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Find your polling location here.
Read more about who is on the ballot and find more information on applicable deadlines below.
Deadlines and Important Dates
Voter Registration Deadline: October 29, 2022
Vote by Mail Application Deadline: November 1, 2022
Early Voting: October 22 – November 4
Election Day Polling Hours: 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
2022 General Ballot
On Ballot: Representative in Congress, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, State Auditor, Governor’s Council, State Senator, State Representative, District Attorney, Sheriff, County Commissioner (only in certain counties), state-wide ballot questions.
Here is a list of the State Election Candidates.
Here is information on the State-Wide Ballot Questions.