Three candidates are running for the position of Mayor. A preliminary election will be held on Tuesday, September 14 to narrow the selection of candidates to two for the general election in November.
Who are the candidates and how can Newton voters learn more?
The three candidates for Mayor include:
Registration deadline for the preliminary election is Wednesday, August 25, 2021.
Read below for more information about how to plan your vote.
Ways to Vote
Applications for mail-in voting must be received by Wednesday, September 8, 2021. A completed and signed application is required for voters to receive a mail-in ballot.
Print out, sign, and mail your application to:
1000 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02459
Drop it in one of the Drop Boxes at City Hall.
Once you receive your ballot…
- Vote the ballot and place it in the ballot (inner) envelope
- Sign the inner envelope (with your ballot inside)
- Return your ballot in the mailing (outer) envelope provided. Ballots can be mailed with proper postage or returned to an elections drop box at City Hall.
Please allow ample mailing time for your application and for the ballot. Ballots must be returned to your the Clerk’s Office by 8pm on Tuesday, September 14, 2021.
Early Voting: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 – Friday, September 10, 2021
Vote at City Hall from 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Preliminary Day Voting: September 14, 2021
Vote at your polling location on September 14 from 7am to 8pm. Find your Election Day polling location here.
- Check to see if you’re registered here
- Learn more about registering here
- Use the Massachusetts Online Voter Registration System to register online or to update a current registration.
- For Election Day voting, find your polling location here.
- City of Newton Elections webpage
NOTE: Certain voters must submit a copy of their identification with their voter registration or present it at their polling place on Election Day. For more information on identification requirements, please see Identification Requirements.