A weekly summary of City Council agendas and actions highlighting items of interest to the LWVN.
Board and Committee Meeting Schedule
Extracted from the full City Council calendar.
Key to color coding: CPC, Charter/Elections, Education, Environmental, Finance, Housing, Planning.
August 3 – August 7
|Mon, Aug 3||5:00 pm||School Committee||NA|
|Tues, Aug 4||6:00 pm||Land Use||LUZoom|
|Wed, Aug 5||8:00 am
|Thur, Aug 6|
|Fri, Aug 7||2:00 pm||Housing Authority||HAZoom|
- School Committee: Executive session on bargaining with teachers union on fall planning, notice
- Land Use: agenda
- Fair Housing Committee: Newton Housing Partnership’s recommendation to eliminate the local preference for Riverside, emergency rental assistance, full agenda
- Zoning Redesign Office Hours: ‘Virtual office hours to hear thoughts, concerns, and suggestions from the community and answer questions related to the Zoning Redesign process.’ more info
- Newton Housing Authority: Notice of Board Meeting, no agenda posted
Draft Council Orders
- 7-31 Planning Memo on Zoning Redesign with links to Current Drafting Status page with pages for each article and FAQ page:”Since that time , the City has been slowly leading a comprehensive Zoning Redesign effort to achieve several goals. Most recently in April 2020, the Council Zoning and Planning committee reasserted the primary goals of the Zoning Redesign:
- Housing: A zoning code more responsive to a demand for housing that serves a range of incomes; Promote sustainable community development patterns
- Sustainability: Environmental stewardship, fiscal strength and meeting community needs
- Context: Preserve and protect what we like in our neighborhoods; Encourage new development to fit in the context of our neighborhoods and villages.