Please join us
Wed, Dec 10, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
NewTV, 23 Needham St., Newton
Brown-bag lunches welcome
Technology and computers play a greater and greater role in Newton’s classrooms, just as they do in professional and everyday life. Newton’s schools have faced challenges providing and paying for these tools, and the parent community has historically been called upon to raise funds to make up the difference.
Does this policy create inherent disparity in the quality of technology and teaching across Newton’s schools? What plans does the School Department have to address purchases of hardware, of software, and for ensuring that faculty members are appropriately trained? What do other municipalities do to ensure that these needs are met?
Our speakers will be:
- Leo Brehm – Newton Schools Director of Information Technology and Library Media
- Current state of tools, funding at Newton’s schools, and the City’s equity policy
- Examples of what other communities do to address funding
- Jennifer Abbott – PTO Council
- Discussion of parent community’s ability to fund technology across the City
- Michelle Callaghan – Teacher in the Newton Public Schools System
- Discussion of the role and outcomes of technology in the education setting
Each speaker will have the opportunity to speak for 15 minutes, followed by open discussion among all attendees.