A weekly summary of Board of Aldermen agendas and actions highlighting items of interest to the LWVN.
Board and Committee Meeting Schedule
Extracted from the full Aldermanic calendar.
Key to color coding: CPC, Planning, Environmental, Finance, Charter/Elections, Housing.
|Monday, Nov. 21||7:45||
|Tues, Nov. 22||no meetings–thanksgiving|
|Monday, Nov. 28||7p
|Thurs., Nov. 29||7p||Land Use||Chamber|
- #147-15(2) Request for an Extension of Time to exercise Special Permit #147-15 BSL NEWTON DEVELOPMENT LLC request for an EXTENSION of TIME in which to EXERCISE special permit #147-15, granted on December 8, 2015 to rehabilitate Farwell Hall, construct an addition and grant a parking waiver and associated relief from parking lot requirements at 157 Herrick Road, Ward 6, Newton Centre, said EXTENSION will run from December 8, 2016 to December 8, 2016.
Public hearing to be assigned for December 13, 2016
- #389-16 Special Permit to establish accessory apartment at 20 Metacomet Road REBECCA MILLER petition for SPECIAL PERMIT/SITE PLAN APPROVAL to construct an approximately 900 sq. ft. accessory apartment in the basement of a single family dwelling on a lot with less than 15,000 sq. ft. at 20 Metacomet Road, Ward 5, Waban,
- #337-16 Special Permit Petition to construct accessory apartment and garage at 41 Dorset Rd TIMOTHY LEARY petition for SPECIAL PERMIT/SITE PLAN APPROVAL to CONSTRUCT AN ACCESSORY APARTMENT approximately 846 sq. ft. with dormer wider than 50% of the exterior wall below, above a three car garage at 41 Dorset Road, Ward 5, Waban,
- #390-16 Special Permit to extend nonconforming 3-story structure and FAR at 7 Manet Circle DAVID MORTON petition for SPECIAL PERMIT/SITE PLAN APPROVAL to allow three-story single-family structure and exceed FAR by adding side and rear additions at 7 Manet Circle, Ward 7, Chestnut Hill.
- #391-16 Special Permit to further extend nonconforming 2-family use at 37-39 North Gate Park JOHN & MARGARET SPENCE petition for SPECIAL PERMIT/SITE PLAN APPROVAL to construct a first floor addition and enclose an existing deck, further extending the nonconforming two-family use and FAR at 37-39 North Gate Park, Ward 3, West Newton.
- #392-16 Special Permit to amend Special Permit #416-12(3) at Modern Barre JULIA WILLIAMSON/WALLY ZAINOUN petition for SPECIAL PERMIT/SITE PLAN APPROVAL to amend special permit #416-12(3) to allow for more than 3 customers at one time, expanded hours of operation and amend the previously approved site plan at 242-244 Commonwealth Avenue, Ward 7, Chestnut Hill.
- #394-16(A)&(B) Requesting two (2) new bus licenses for Lasell College VPNE Parking Solutions, LLC, requesting two (2) new bus licenses for Lasell College.
Public Facilities Committee
Public hearing to be assigned for December 7, 2016
- #395-16 Comcast petition for a Grant of Location on Huntington Road COMCAST petitioning for a grant of location to install 340’+ of 1-3” conduit from pole 673/7 on Huntington Road to existing vault in front of 75 Huntington Road. (Ward 7)
- #396-16 Comcast petition for a Grant of Location on Winthrop Street COMCAST petitioning for a grant of location to install 1-3” pipe from existing vault on Putnam Street heading 175’+ northwesterly thence turning southwesterly to existing pole on Winthrop Street.(Ward 3)
- #397-16 Discussion w School Administration re $1.2 million budget deficit COUNCILOR GENTILE requesting a discussion with the School Department and members of the School Committee regarding the $1.2 million deficit in the School Department budget as outlined in the 2017 Fiscal and Operational Update Memo dated October 24, 2016.
- #398-16 Authorization to expend Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant of $94,863 HIS HONOR THE MAYOR requesting authorization to accept and expend the Edward J. Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant in the amount of ninety-four thousand eight hundred sixty-three dollars and sixty cents ($99,633.60) for the purpose of continuing to fund a Jail Diversion Clinician.
- 11-9-16 Programs & Services: APPROVED: Revival of the Youth Commission; additional funds for school busing costs; funds to renovate the Ed Center for Central High; HELD: annual review of city clerk’s salary.
- 11-9-16 Public Facilities: APPROVED: amendments to sidewalk snow clearing ordiances; HELD: discussion on solid waste & recycling; policies on zero percent loans to homeowners wanting to replace a lead service (water) line; discussion about community solar share; building an observation deck at the river end of the Upper Falls Greenway; funds to renovate the Ed Center for Central High; NAN: connect Walsingham street to city sewer.
- 11-9-16 Public Safety: APPROVED: drone regulations; $1.1m to update emergency communications infrastructure; additional police cruiser and truck; hire a police officer for one year; taxi licenses & taxi gas surcharge; cut the number of taxi inspections.
- 11-14-16 Finance: APPROVED: $9K to enforce accessible parking restrictions; final payment for Aquinas College; $1.1m to update emergency (police/fire) communications; add one police officer, temporarily; $80K for a police cruiser and mechanic’s truck; leaf blower ordinance; $46.5m for Cabot rehabilitation; debt management policy; $1.4m to capital stabilization; NAN: including leaves as litter; connect Walsingham Street to city sewer (w4);
- 11-14-16 Zoning: HELD: Accessory apartments–proposing to amend ordinances in order to create a new accessory apartment ordinance that expands the availability of accessory apartments.
- 11-15-16 Land Use: APPROVED: 220-222 California Street–extend a nonconforming use and allow parking; 89 Hyde Ave–establish an accessory apartment and allow parking; 44 Oakmont Road–extend a three-story single family; HELD: 15 Cottage Court–increase front setback, structure, and two-family use.
Leaf blower documents
Land Use & Planning Memos
Zero Waste flyer
School Buildings update
Planning Update, includes: Newton Zoning Redesign: Join the Planning & Development Department for a two‐day open house about zoning in Newton on Saturday, December 3rd from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. or Sunday December 4th from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Newton Innovation Center, 124 Vernon Street. Stop by for an hour or more! Learn how context‐based zoning can identify areas for preservation, enhancement and transformation in Newton. Preview initial Pattern Book findings. Engage with historic Newton materials. Participate in a visual preference survey. Identify context areas with an interactive map. For additional information and a parking map visit our website http://courbanize.com/newtonzoning.
- Washington Place Project – Public Hearings: The following public hearings are scheduled regarding proposed zoning changes for the Washington Place project in Newtonville. The Land Use Committee will meet on Tuesday, November 29th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber and the Planning & Development Board will meet on Monday, December 5th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 204. Additional information can be found on our website at www.newtonma.gov/gov/planning/current/devrev/hip/orr_project.asp www.newtonma.gov/gov/aldermen/special_permits/special_permits_2016.asp.
- Community Preservation Committee: The agenda for the CPC’s next meeting, at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 8th in City Hall Room 204, includes: Jackson Road New Senior Housing (Newton Corner, Newton Housing Authority request for off‐cycle consideration); Newton Homebuyer Assistance Program (discussion about possible restructuring); 236 Auburn Street (Auburndale, CAN‐DO pre‐proposal for affordable housing and historic preservation); and Echo Bridge Historic Railing (Newton Upper Falls, MWRA pre‐proposal for historic reconstruction). No public hearings or funding votes are scheduled at this meeting. The CPC uses pre‐proposal discussions to determine whether and when it will consider each project’s full proposal, and to advise project sponsors. The Committee holds a public hearing on each full proposal before voting on whether to recommend funding to the City Council. The program website, www.newtonma.gov/cpa, will have links to the full agenda and pre‐ meeting packet by November 23 under Committees & Meetings – Current CPC Meetings, and already has full‐text versions of the new pre‐proposals under Proposals & Projects – Pending.