This year, the Environmental Issues Committee is focusing on the following areas:
- Support efforts to educate LWVN members and Newton residents about water quality issues in Newton. See information on our recent and upcoming stormwater forums.
- Support implementation of the Comprehensive Plan’s Transportation and Mobility section.
- Safe Sidewalks: Continue to work towards improving pedestrian mobility in Newton, including an ordinance to require residents to clear snow from sidewalks, and to support enforcement of existing snow ordinances.
- Explore supporting statewide plastic bag tax or ban.
- Continue efforts to monitor and support single stream recycling and pay-as-you-throw (PAYT) in Newton.
- Continue to be engaged in City environmental issues, including monitoring the City on energy conservation
Documents and links on these and other issues that we have been engaged in are below: